Saturday, February 09, 2008

Screenwriting 2.0

Tip of the hat to Alex for highlighting Scripped, a web-based screenwriting app, along the lines of Google docs, and the 37signals portfolio.

Scripped is, to be fair, pretty bare-boned, but not quite as minimalist as the similarly web-based ScriptBuddy - it at least has an export to PDF function (ScriptBuddy makes you pay for this privilege) and a much more streamlined interface. It also has what looks like a pretty decent draft management system.

Of course, for all their potential networking features, remote storage and platform agnosticism, the downside of all server-side apps is that they can only be used when you’re online: handy in a fi’d up coffee shop, not so useful on public transport. And feature wise, they can never compete with dedicated desktop apps such as Montage (my own preference), Scrivener (superb for organising and drafting documents), and the increasingly capable Celtx (FREE!); and that’s just on the Mac.

Still, I daresay Scripped will find an enthusiastic audience of admirers, and good luck to them. I’m sadly still an old-world paranoid who dreads the thought of his data in another man’s arms, and will remain wedded to my hard-drive apps for as long as they’ll have me.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lee. I just want to be able to upload some scripts or script excerpts from my hard drive to one of these things to put stuff on my blog - first ten pages maybe, a short, an example, etc. Can any of these do that? I don't want to have to reformat the buggers either, I'd sooner not bother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lucy - if you want people to be able to read scripts on your blog, the only way to do it is with quite a bit of faffing about.

    The simplest alternative would be to stick with your normal screenwriting software. Open the bit of script you want to show off, and then export it to, or save as...HTML.

    Once you've done that, you could upload it to your googlepage, and link directly to it. Like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You absolute effing Genius. I think I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well then come here and give me some sugar, baby.

    Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kewl software. Thank you sooo much.

    http://janeyruthsscreenplays.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete