Saturday, December 16, 2006

An old abusing of God's patience

Or :
If I be served such another trick, I’ll have my brains ta’en out, and buttered, and give them to a dog for a new year’s gift.

The Merry Wives of Windsor: Act 3, scene 5


I went to see the RSC’s new seasonal production, Merry Wives - The Musical, last night. I went blind, not having seen any reviews, and was therefore able to form a perfectly unclouded judgement about the quality of the show.

Shit.

Not even the combined powers of the dames Judy Dench and Simon Callow could raise it above the level of brutal mediocrity. Watching the pair of them was like seeing your physics and geography teachers mug, slap-thigh and hoot their way through an end-of-term variety entertainment. Simply cringe inducing.

My friend and I decided we hadn’t paid to be held hostage, so burst through a fire escape and onto the rainy streets of Stratford during the interval, and had an excellent night elsewhere with the hour and a half we stole back from this witless, charm-free lampoonery.

11 comments:

  1. I've said it before and I'll say it again:

    MUSICAL THEATRE PEOPLE - LEAVE SHAKESPEARE ALONE!!!!

    It's bad enough that there are so many musicals in the world without corrupting one of our greatest artistes. On top of that, Merry Wives of Windsor was one of his dullest plays anyhow. Forsooth shame on this skullduggery!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to go back. WITH AN UZI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Holidays Lee! And thanks again for that Departed script.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pleasure's all mine. Have a great one, Will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee,

    have a great Christmas. All the best for the New year

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas, dude. See you next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you went with a bard when you should have gone with a bastard...

    Merry Christmas, Lee!

    ;D

    B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a good one, you crazy bastard. Hope to meet up with you at some point in the new year, just so I can find out if you really exist. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I KNOW Lee exists - I've touched him and everything. The question is James, do YOU?? Hmmmm???

    Only 363 days to Xmas by the way...

    ReplyDelete