Monday, October 23, 2006

Maybe you need to lay off the videogames if...

It’s a foggy evening, and you’re taking a regular shortcut home through the graveyard.

A construction team in town are operating some kind of cutting machinery. By the time the sound reaches you, it resembles a fading air-raid siren.

At the same time, your iPod shuffles to a bad encoding, and all it plays is static.

And suddenly, it’s all you can do to control your bladder.



That theme still scares the bejeezus out of me.

5 comments:

  1. Scariest. Game. Ever.

    Have you played 2, 3 or 4? 2 is good, 3 is great, 4 is utter shite and very obviously a totally different game Silent-Hill-ified 5 minutes before release. The funhouse in 3 shit me up something terrible. But nothing beats the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't played 3 or 4, but loved 2 - thought it was more coherant than 1, but not as pant skiddingly nervy. 1's effectiveness was based on the terror being utterly unexpected - I was waiting for Resident Evil style frights, but what I got instead was a slow and creeping descent into madness. Running away from monsters in the fog was one thing, but when that claxon sounded and Silent Hill changed - that wasn't nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to be so out of it in video game land, but what's this from...Silent Hill I presume?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That'd be it. But really, if you don't know...you don't want to ask. I'm a grown man, and honest, swear to God, I could not sleep after playing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that - you go in that little corridor, and you come out, and think "I was just here, but now it's all different". Wandered around for a while, sitting with Jo, taking turns, and just looking at each other in fear saying "what's going ON?" and "I'm scared" and "oh thank Christ, the door's locked".

    ReplyDelete