Sunday, July 02, 2006

Crafty reading

So I’m the most recent reader to have finished Alex’s eagerly awaited Crafty TV Writing.

Well, I say finished, but truthfully I skipped almost a third of it. Chapters six through nine, Preparing to be a TV Writer to Moving Up the Food Chain: Writing on Staff were simply not relevant to me, either because I live in the UK, or I’m not at a point where I can take advantage of the advice. I fully expect to get around to them at some point, as my writing and (hopefully) career (hopefully) develop.

This doesn’t mean I don’t feel like I’ve got my money’s worth now. There is so much meaty mind-food in Parts One and Two, particularly chapter four, Bad Writing and How to Fix It (Or at Least Get Away With It), that I’m sure pages will be falling out before long due to frequent re-reads.

Good stuff.

Next: Christopher Booker’s The Seven Basic Plots: Why We Tell Stories. This is a thick, thick book with teeny tiny writing, and will take me the rest of the year to read, but I was hooked before I’d finished the introduction in the shop, and had to have it. I will let you know if it was worth it. In 2007, sometime.

Category: Books and Comics

3 comments:

  1. Things have been very quiet around here. I must be a very thick book indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I the only person here who's too cheap to import a copy from the US, and is waiting for the UK version to come out?









    ...thought so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have imported it on it's own - far too expensive. I bundled it up with the Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut and Season Two of Samurai Jack. Bliss. Some products just don't have a UK version, sadly.

    O_R, July does seem to have passed me by, doesn't it?

    Oh, and Piers, I'm in. I'll send the mail later.

    ReplyDelete