Thursday, January 12, 2006

Round and round the garden

So now it’s my turn, tagged by Danny and Diane, to complete Fun Joel's "get-to-know-the-scribosphere" questionnaire*.

ONE (1) earliest film-related memory:
Me and my dad got on a bus to Banbury with a couple of my cousins and uncles, to see a Superman 1&2 double bill. I think a great time was had by all, but it was so long ago, I really don’t remember too well. It might not even be my own memory. Most of my life is a haze, so I may have borrowed it from someone else.

TWO (2) favorite lines from movies:

One from TV, one from fillum. One is very long, the other, titchy.

From The Big Lebowski:



QUINTANA
You got a date Wednesday, baby.



From The Sopranos Pine Barrens episode:


TONY
(through some static)
It's a bad connection so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're lookin' for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechan rebels single-handed!

PAULIE
Get the fuck outta here.

TONY
Yeah. Nice, huh? He was with the interior ministry. Guy's like a Russian green beret. He can not come back and tell this story. You understand?

PAULIE
I hear you.

TONY
I'm fuckin' serious, Paulie!

PAULIE
Ton'? Ton', you there?

TONY
Cocksucker! Call me back!

EXT. WOODS - DAY

Paulie clicks off, looks at Christopher.

PAULIE
You're not gonna believe this.
(off Christopher's look)
He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.

CHRISTOPHER
(amazed)
His house looked like shit.


THREE (3) jobs you'd do if you could not work in the "biz":
• Pilot
• Fireman
• Ghostbuster

FOUR (4) jobs you actually have held outside the industry:
• Account executive for telecoms co-operative
• Box office monkey at West End theatre
• Barman

THREE (3) book authors I like:
Not fair, the shortlist for this included THIRTY (30) writers. So, not my favourites, just random scribes I like:
• Tom Stoppard
• David Almond
• Grant Morrison


TWO (2) movies you'd like to remake or properties you'd like to adapt:
I would love to adapt The Brentford Triangle, just so that I could put on screen the spectacle of an invading fleet of spaceships bought low by a floating camel.

Remake - probably the Matrix sequels. Sad. So, so sad.

ONE (1) screenwriter you think is underrated:
David Peoples. To those of you who know him only as the man responsible for Soldier, Leviathan, and Fatal Sky, this may seem an odd choice. But as the writer of Ridley Scott's Blade Runner, Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven, and Terry Gilliam's Twelve Monkeys, he seems sadly destined to win Oscars® for other people. And if you don't give a shit about any of that and think there could be no better legacy for a man than Ladyhawke and Salute of the Jugger, then you're my kind of people.

THREE (3) people I'm tagging to answer this meme next:

Moses
Matt
Xander

And I'll chuck in the Alligator variation:

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LINE OF DIALOGUE YOU HAVE EVER WRITTEN?

"It's come to something when I can't even look out of the window without someone trying to give me a stiffy."

*And, for a peek into our collective mindscape, here’s the hall of fame of participants in this meme, and here the hall of shame of party-poopers who just won't join in.

Category: Computing and Web

9 comments:

  1. Wow, dude! I'm just getting familair with del.icio.us right now, but did you have to find all those manually, or is it gathering them automatically for you? Either way, THANKS for doing that. It's very cool. I was starting to follow the trails from one to the next, but gave up after about 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a very quiet day at work yesterday. I have to do it all manually, but now they're all gathered together, it takes a couple of minutes a day to check everyone. It's all part of the fun - although I realise I'm giving away a very nerdish part of my personality by admitting that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Lee -- thanks for the shout-out in your "training" post --and for the head's up on the meme. I only realized this morning that I'd been tagged by Kristen; does the "4" mean that there are 3 other bloggers out there who've tagged me (i.e. that I don't know about)? And thanks for the Sopranos dialogue, which is freakin' PRICELESS and great to see in print (the episode was one of my faves).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 4 means that you're part of the fourth "tier" - Joel tagged three people, they each tagged three people, THEY each tagged three people, and one of them tagged you.

    As far as I can tell, we're up to the seventh tier now, which should mean 2187 people tagged, except that some have been tagged more than once; some people haven't played, so the "meme" dies with them; and other participants have declined to tag anyone, so that figure is a lot lower, at 96 people.

    Still pretty good going, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude -- you rock!

    And I'm uber impressed with where this thing has gone. Definitely expanded beyond the bounds of the "Scribosphere" per se. I'm flattered and glad that people are seemingly having "fun" with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I done did it. De-shame me, please! (If it's possible to de-shame myself, I've yet to figure that out...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Consider yourself cleansed - good to see another Big Lebowski quote. The Dude abides!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I lived a thousand years, and my only credit was Ladyhawke, I would be quite happy with my contribution to the movies. Ladyhawke is the fucking shiznit, and David Peoples is a geezer.

    ReplyDelete