Sunday, December 18, 2005

2005 in review

Please, God let this year be over. In 2006 there will be weddings. I will be a best man. It ought to be a lot of fun.

        What did you do in 2005 that you’d never done before?
                attended a funeral. I enjoyed it so much I went to another one two months later.
       
        Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
                I’ve made the same resolutions every year for the past six. Write more, earn more, learn to drive, find a flat and fall in love. Well, I learnt to drive last year, so it’s off the list. Write more and earn more will be with me till the day I die. I still need a flat, and so far have been denied true love. Altogether now...“Tough shit!”

        Did anyone close to you give birth?
                my cousin gave birth to Poppy, the third of her brood, a whopping nine and a half pounds.

        Did anyone close to you die?
                sadly yes. More than once.

        What countries did you visit?
                goodness me. I haven’t left the UK since 1995.

        What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
                sex. And a six-pack.

        What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
                June 25th. I started this blog.

        What was your biggest achievement of the year?
                learning to use a pair of clippers to cut my own hair. One more reason to interact with live humans off the list!

        What was your biggest failure?
                not quite getting an allotment.

        Did you suffer illness or injury?
                no. But don’t tell my boss.
       
        What was the best thing you bought?
                my Nan had a set of postcards of movie stars from the thirties and forties. I paid to have them framed and they now hang above my desk, looking awesome.

        Whose behavior merited celebration?
                oh, I don’t know. Ellen MacArthur?
       
        Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
               Ah, well, that's a bit personal, so I'll take the fifth.

        Where did most of your money go?
                pills. Whiskey. Whores.

        What did you get really, really, really excited about?
                um, Doctor Who.

        What song will always remind you of 2005?
                “She Will be Loved.” For cheesy and sentimental played-at-a-funeral reasons.

        Compared to this time last year, are you:
                i. happier or sadder? - bizarrely happier; despite some terrible shit having happened this year I feel far more focussed on my own wants and needs than ever before.
                ii. thinner or fatter? - probably the same, thank god. A miracle, really.
                iii. richer or poorer? - richer. Now be off, peasant.

        What do you wish you’d done more of?
                talking to people.

        What do you wish you’d done less of?
                talking to myself.

        How will you be spending New Year’s?
                probably with a bottle of Captain Morgan’s.

        Did you fall in love in 2005?
                no. It’s still on the list.

        How many one-night stands?
                absolutely none at all.

        What was your favorite TV program?
                I. Can’t. Choose. Veronica Mars. Battlestar Galactica. Doctor Who. Bleak House. The Shield. Deadwood.

        Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
                no, but I haven’t forgiven anyone either. That’s right, you fuckers, you’ll get yours.

        What was the best book you read?
                Ian McDonald’s River of Gods.

        What was your greatest musical (re)discovery?
                I’ve listened to The National A LOT this year. They’ve got some truly great hooks on Alligator.

        What did you want and get?
                a trilby.

        What did you want and not get?
                certain people have not been replying to my e-mails. It makes me quite cross. Oh, and a PSP. And I certainly didn’t get any better at driving.

        What was your favorite film of this year?
                of the very, very few that I’ve seen: NightWatch.

        What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
                this year I was twenty-nine. It was three days after my Nan’s funeral. I didn’t really do anything. I’ll be glad to get this rotten decade behind me; roll on being thirty-something.

        What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
                immeasurably? Having the true nature of the universe revealed to me.

        How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
                fake it till you make it.

        What kept you sane?
                arrogance and ego. And blogging.

        Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
                none of them, honestly. Well, maybe Rachel Nichol’s breasts.

        What political issue stirred you the most?
                wasn’t there a General Election this year? I think that would probably be it. And my take on the whole fucked up, negligent response to Hurricane Katrina most likely created an Echelon flag.

        Who did you miss?
                my nan. Mark. Lisa.

        Who was the best new person you met?
                ask me again next year. This was a year of goodbyes.

        Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005:
                everything takes longer than you think.

        Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
                I'm staring out into that vacuum again,
                From the back porch of my mind.
                The only thing that's alive,
                I'm all there is.
                And I start attacking my vodka,
                Stab the ice with my straw,
                My eyes have turned red as stop lights,
                You seem ready to walk,
                You know I will call you eventually,
                When I wanna talk,
                Till then you're invisible.

                Cause there's this switch that gets hit,
                And it all stops making sense,
                And in the middle of drinks,
                Maybe the fifth or the sixth,
                I'm completely alone,
                At a table of friends,
                I feel nothing for them,
                I feel nothing!
                Nothing!
                        – Bright Eyes: Hit the Switch

Category: Uncategorised

No comments:

Post a Comment