Thursday, November 03, 2005

Getting started

Sitting at the back of the class, it’s taken me a little while to realise it’s actually NaNoWriMo time, and here I am, attempting to bang out my first teleplay in a fortnight. I may be a little insane, but at least I’m not alone in my madness.

So fittingly, the motto for November is officially “quantity, not quality,” an aphorism that will serve me well this next week or so.

Work has been slow thus far, as I’ve made the fatal mistake of sitting on my ideas for too long, letting the whole concept become crufty and unwieldy. I’ve been thinking, albeit vaguely, about this project for such a long time I imagined I must have a pretty good handle on it, but in fact I really haven’t got much of a clue at all. Despite knowing where to start and where to end, I actually had no usable story material to put in the middle, just a bunch of unformed characters and possible plot points. Most of which were poorly considered garbage.

All the “work” I’d done before this week had been very idle, mostly taking place over long, wool-gathering walks, and totally lacking in specificity. So I’ve spent the last couple of days filling pages and pages with notes - story beats, character bios, backstory and so forth, trying to pare away all the most evident nonsense until I possess a handful of solid, usable elements to build with.

Once I’ve got them all together, it’ll be a pretty sloppy building I erect. But that’s another post.

Category: Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment