Sunday, July 10, 2005

I've been away

Trapped by my bosses for three days in Stoke-on-Trent.

I have no hesistation in recommending Keele as an attractive rural campus, but as with all conference centres at universities, the rooms sucked. Air conditioning fans whine all night at a maddeningly irritational pitch just within the range of human hearing. The bed was all of two feet wide, the mattress almost as many inches thick and totally solid. I lay awake all the first night trying to think if this was the worst night's sleep I had ever had. Eventually I decided it ranked no better than third. Sleeping rough at Prague station harrassed by tramps and their flies was pretty bad, and being kicked in the face by booted Italian peons while trying to kip in the exposed corridor of a night train to Bari sounds more romantic than it was refreshing. Also, I've had more invigorating showers in ex-communist student accomodation, though only partly due to differentials in water pressure. But that's a tale I vowed never to tell again.

I will fall silent and allow your imaginations to do their work.

Category: Meatspace

No comments:

Post a Comment